The Finance Specialist will support the project’s finance department to ensure expenses are compliant and recorded in accordance with project policies. S/he will work with any appropriate counterparts to ensure proper tax withholdings and payroll administration for project employees, and will support the finance manager with financial issues such as timesheet preparation, expense report processing, tracking local expenditures, and paying vendors. S/he will report directly to the finance manager (FM).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Use strong interpersonal skills to effectively work with all staff and ensure that the project’s financial policies are followed in full compliance with applicable US and German government requirements.
• Receive, review and process all payment packages for the payment of vendors and grantees in timely manner.
• Support finance manager in preparing payroll for project employees on a monthly basis.
• In coordination with the FM and operations team, ensure that all timesheets are correctly completed and collected each month from all employees.
• Under the supervision of the FM, ensure all necessary taxes are withheld in a compliance to German regulations and that remittances are made to the appropriate authority as required.
• Process expense reports on an as needed basis.
• Support the FM in submitting monthly field office project expenditures (locals) in the finance system and submitting locals to the home office on a monthly basis.
• Assist in preparing monthly bank reconciliation and weekly petty cash reconciliation.
• Support the FM in preparing monthly financial projections and wire transfer requests.
• Transfer money to different accounts as required.
• Perform and manage financial tracking for the program activities as well as for the local sub-contractors and fixed price contracts.
• Perform financial analysis upon request.
• Undertake other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• A university degree in business management or accounting required.
• At least three to five years of relevant financial management and administration experience is required.
• Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with fellow staff members, visitors, partner institutions including international and local NGOs, governmental entities, support organizations, and the general public.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize multiple work assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good, professional judgment that reflects positively on the image and communicates the established program message of the project.
• Ability to effectively use financial computer software with Microsoft Excel as a minimum. Additionally, ability to use basic computer applications such as Microsoft Office.
• Fluent written and spoken German required as well as highly proficient written and spoken English. Additional proficiency in Arabic preferred but not required.
• Must have current work authorization (blue card or equivalent) in Germany and be authorized to work.
- Must have current work authorization in Germany
- Fluent written and spoken German required