Project: Syria Regional Program II/Syria Community Stabilization Initiative
The finance manager (FM) will lead the project’s finance department to ensure expenses are compliant and in accordance with company policies and U.S. and German regulations. S/he will be responsible for processing all payments made from the Berlin office and for preparing and monitoring monthly financial projections. S/he will work with a certified public accounting firm (or similar) to ensure proper tax withholdings for Germany-based expenditures and payroll administration for project employees, will support senior management in legal financial decision-making, and will be responsible for liaising with several U.S.-based finance departments within Chemonics International Inc.’s headquarters.
The FM will manage the finance team, and provide guidance to staff on any financial transactions undertaken in regional offices. The FM will report to the Deputy Chief of Party for Operations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Use strong interpersonal skills to effectively work with all staff and ensure that the project’s financial policies are followed in full compliance with company policies and applicable U.S. and German government requirements.
• Liaise directly with any corporate legal advisors who provide input on financial reporting matters, to ensure corporate understanding of these requirements. Share this information proactively with all Chemonics projects operating in Germany.
• Ensure the project has sufficient funds for operations and programs on a monthly basis. Oversee monthly financial projections, wire transfer requests, and bank reconciliation.
• Lead finance team and serve as line manager for multiple staff. Provide training, guidance, and support for all staff on financial matters, and proactively identify formal and informal training opportunities for other staff in these areas.
• Prepare payroll for all employees on a monthly basis, and relevant payroll and corporate taxes, with support from other finance team members and based on documentation provided by and communication with the payroll company.
• Receive, review and process all payment packages for the payment of vendors and grantees in timely manner.
• In coordination with the bookkeeper and operations team, ensure that all timesheets are correctly completed and collected each month from all employees.
• Ensure all necessary taxes are withheld in a compliance to German regulations and that remittances are made to the appropriate authority as required.
• Submit monthly field office project expenditures (locals) in the finance system and submit locals to the home office on a monthly basis.
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliation and weekly petty cash reconciliation.
• Prepare monthly financial projections and wire transfer requests.
• Perform and manage financial tracking for the program activities as well as for the local sub-contractors and fixed price contracts.
• Perform financial analysis upon request.
• Undertake other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• A university degree in business management or accounting, a Certified Public Accounting certification, or similar, is required.
• At least five years of relevant financial management and administration experience is required.
• At least two years of supervisory experience required, ideally in a financial role.
• Experience administering payroll and ensuring compliance with local tax regulations, in Germany.
• Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with fellow staff members, visitors, partner institutions including international and local NGOs, governmental entities, support organizations, and the general public.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize multiple work assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good, professional judgment that reflects positively on the company
- University Degree Business Mngmnt / Accounting
- or Certfied Public Accountant Certificate
- 5 year experience in finance or administration
- 2 years supervisor experience in finance sector
- familiar to MS EXCEL, finance software, MS Office
- English, written & spoken
- German, written & spoken
- Experience with German Tax Regulations